tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.0.19 and NPTL
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:50:03 GMT
QM wrote, On 7/27/2004 5:46 PM:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 05:28:56PM -0700, Sunitha Kumar wrote:
> : Do we know if 5.0.19 can work with NPTL?
>
> This has to do with the underlying JDK, not Tomcat.  If your JDK hasn't
> been recompiled to take advantage of NPTL then it may very well stumble
> through an NPTL environment.
>
> Based on the number of "set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL" posts I've seen on this
> list, I'd say the Sun JDK isn't NPTL-aware. ;)

I've been running Tomcat (previously version 5.0.25, now 5.0.27) using
Java 1.4.2_05-b04 on Fedora Core 1 and 2 without any issues at all.

As I understand it, if the JDK is using Posix threads (which it does),
then it is using NPTL threads by default, unless you set
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.2.5.

You can verify this by running `ps -auxf`, if the Java process appears
only once, it is running using NPTL, if it appears as a big tree of
processes, you are not.  The JDK-1.5 beta releases have run Tomcat just
fine in my limited testing.

FWIW, the problems with the JDK crashing or hanging when using NPTL were
a combination of JDK and glibc bugs.  In all cases, they can be fixed by
making sure you are running the latest JDK and glibc for your Linux
distribution.

-Dave