tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Derek B. Greer" <dgr...@fedex.com>
Subject running Tomcat 5.0.25 as an NT service
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:44:05 GMT
I just spent several hours getting Tomcat 5.0.25 to run as a service on
Windows XP and didn't find a lot of useful information anywhere, so I
thought I'd post my findings.  The service.bat which comes with the
Tomcat 5.0.25 distribution doesn't seem to pass all the proper
parameters to the version of procrun represented by the tomcat5.exe.
The proper parameters also don't seem to be documented anywhere.  Using
the tomcat5w GUI tool, I was able to discover what the missing
parameters were.  I have attached my modified service.bat if anyone
finds it useful.  Here are the changes I made (thanks to Jacob Kjome for
pointing out the missing tools.jar):

    * added %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar to the PR_CLASSPATH
    * added the parameters --StartMethod main  --StopMethod main to the
      call to tomcat5.exe
    * added the parameter --Startup Automatic to set the startup type

Derek Greer