tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <m...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: Is the Tomcat5 documentation correct for this?
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:21:05 GMT
Ignore this... I skipped reading this part:

"The description below uses the variable name $CATALINA_HOME to refer to
the directory into which you have installed Tomcat 5, and is the base
directory against which most relative paths are resolved. However, if
you have configured Tomcat 5 for multiple instances by setting a
CATALINA_BASE directory, you should use $CATALINA_BASE instead of
$CATALINA_HOME for each of these references."

:)

Michael Echerer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html
>
> says:
>
> "Pathname to a scratch directory to be provided by this Context for
> temporary read-write use by servlets within the associated web
> application. This directory will be made visible to servlets in the web
> application by a servlet context attribute (of type java.io.File) named
> javax.servlet.context.tempdir as described in the Servlet Specification.
> If not specified, a suitable directory underneath $CATALINA_HOME/work
> will be provided."
>

> I have a setup where I have multiple Tomcat instances using the same
> $CATALINA_HOME, but each get's a different $CATALINA_BASE set on startup.
>
> For each Tomcat instance I have a work directory below $CATALINA_BASE,
> not a combined one for all instances in my binaries CATALINA_HOME.
> I doubt it would work if \work\Catalina\localhost has e.g. the temp jsp
> class files of all Tomcat instances.
>
> So I guess it must be:
>
> "If not specified, a suitable directory underneath $CATALINA_BASE/work
> will be provided."
>

> Greetings
> Michael

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Michael Echerer
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, http://www.tngtech.com
Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring bei München,
Tel. +49 89 2158996-0, Fax. +49 89 2158996-9, Mobile +49 176 20088854