tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Krüger <krue...@signal7.de>
Subject Re: jsp precompiling using staging server
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:24:57 GMT

Alan,

I've noticed too that the algorithm in Jasper, which detects JSP file
modifications is not terribly robust as far as manual modifications to
generated files are concerned. What you could do is assemble a small
test application with steps to reproduce the behaviour and file a bug
report in bugzilla with your test case and hope that the guy who's in
charge of the jasper core thinks it's a valid requirement to have manual
  changes to generated files detected. He has been very helpful and
responsive with my jasper bug reports, so I can only encourage you to
try your luck. You can always look at the source yourself and suggest a
patch, however my impression was that you cannot look at the jasper
source and expect to understand what's going on in a few minutes but YMMV.

Regards,

Robert

Flisch, Alan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks or your suggestion, but I was hoping to avoid having to bounce the context.  Also,
I have looked at using ANT, but there were a variety of limitations that caused problems.
 I found I couldn't specify a fileset but could only compile a whole directory and as I said
I was hoping to be able to avoid editing the web.xml file and bouncing the context.

> My current approach (using a staging server and the precompilation directive) works quite
well apart from the problem I detailed below.  I am a bit worried that its a showstopper for
me.

> Thanks,
> Alan

 I am precompiling the jsps on a staging server and then copying over the .jsp files to the
appropriate webapp directory and the .java and .class files to the work directory.  It works
great the first time (it spots the new JSP and notices a newer compiled version in the work
directory and loads that without any compilation), but it does not work when I am trying to
copy over new versions of existing JSPs - it continues to serve the old one even though the
.jsp file is new and the .class and .jsp files are new.  I'm not sure what it does - it seems
that it must be comparing the modified time of the .jsp file with that of the .class file
and if the class file is newer it does nothing even if they are both newer than the loaded
class file.

>>Does anybody have any idea how I can prompt it to load the new class in the work directory
to replace the existing one - is this even possible?

>>Any help would be much appreciated.

> Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual and not necessarily
the company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for
the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible
for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this E-mail in
error and that any use or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail
in error please notify the beCogent postmaster at postmaster@becogent.com
> Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender and
not beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility for virus checking this email and any
attachments.
> Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments may contain data
that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts and that you must ensure that any
handling or processing of such data by you is fully compliant with the terms and provisions
of the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998.