tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <>
Subject Re: How to "start" a web app?
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:53:22 GMT
What is it with the person to person discussions on a public forum these
days.  Please take this off list and post something when the docs are
updated.  Otherwise I don't want or need to read this.

PS: Tomcat is an open source project -- write a correction and submit it
if you feel one is necessary.

Michael Labhard wrote:

>On Friday 09 July 2004 09:15 am, Mike Curwen wrote:
>>The point I was attempting to make is that there is nothing wrong with
>>the docs,
>Yes, I know.  And the point that I am trying to make is that several readers
>of the documentation disagree with you on this point.  And that is, in my
>opinion, sufficient reason to conclude that there _is_, or at least may be,
>something "wrong" with the docs.
>It's really pointless to argue that the docs are semantically correct.  It
>doesn't matter.  What matters is whether or not they helped the readers.
>That's all that matters.  If they did then they may be semantically gibberish
>and yet they are good.  If they did not then they are wrong, regardless of
>As an aside.  The place to fix this problem with the docs, in my opinion, is
>in the error messages.  If the error messages told the user exactly what
>mistake it made then the problem with the docs would be irrelevant.  So,
>instead of "Cannot access XXX" it should say, "I found a subdirectory of
>webapps of the correct name but it doesn't contain a WEB-INF directory so I
>cannot proceed."  Or, "I found a subdir and a WEB-INF dir and a web.xml there
>but it doesn't have XXX in the YYY place."  Then no one would care about the
>semantics of the other documentation -- it would be redundantly obscure.
>-- Michael
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: