tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pete Stokes <stok...@quinn-direct.com>
Subject Re: AW: How to increase memory
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 06:59:50 GMT
CATALINA_OPTS="%CATALINA_OPTS% -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m"   note quotes (need that ammendment in
Linux, try something similar for Window$e if needed......)

Also, if you put a -Xloggc:/usr/local/tomcat/logs/gc.log     (check syntax with java -X help)

do Xloggc before and after changing memory size, then have a look if gc cycles change. You
can use HPjtune to graphically see the cycles. Do you need to include the -server in the above
string depending on your JVM ?  You want 3-10% max of cpu time in gc and periodic cycles.
I'd say start from very low initial heap with a decent max setting and look at gc.

Anyway, 1GIG initial heap is massive - why u need it so big? I've got a very intensive app,
and initial heap of 80m, max heap of 768 works fine. Remember, it's a combination of initial
heap and max heap that determine your apps gc cycles.

Try look at using incremental gc ??

Whilst you are testing your app, check cpu usage to see it's not being killed, if so get better
box.

Pete.