tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM memory size changing dramatically
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:53:22 GMT
as others have stated, the only way to know is to stress test your
app. even without running a test, I can tell you IIS5 running on a
dual CPU box cannot handle 500 concurrent requests for dynamic pages.

500 concurrent requests for static files isn't a problem.

Depending on the kind of application, the maximum concurrent requests
maybe as low as a dozen or as high as 50-60. Does your app make
database queries? How long do the queries take?  How many CPU's does
the database server have? Which version of Sql Server do you run? Is
the database hosted on a separate box? What kind of router are you
using between the webserver and database? Is there a dedicated
ethernet port and router between the two tiers?

These are all important questions to ask and answer. Once you answer
most of these questions, you'll be able to confidently say what your
webapp can handle. good luck

peter

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:43:29 +0100, Dale, Matt <matt.dale@becogent.com> wrote:

> Only you can answer these questions by testing your application with something like Jmeter.
Devise tests that replicate user behaviour and increase the load until it breaks. Then you
will be able to see what it can handle and how windows copes with the load.