tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: tomcat PID creation and monitoring
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:54:30 GMT
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:14:13PM -0700, Caleb Walker wrote:
: PID=$!
: echo $PID > $pid_file
: Doing this makes tomcat create a pid file that I can then monitor with
: our monitoring server.  What it does is look at the PID file and
: compares that with the running processes.
: What is happening is our monitoring system will display the service as
: down and I go into the server and the service is not down but the
: running processes do not match the PID file like the tomcat processes
: restart without using my PID file creation script.

1/ IIRC, the script that fires off Tomcat calls commons-daemon (jsvc
is the native Linux portion) so $! won't give you a reliable PID.

2/ Write (or find) an application-level watchdog that will occasionally
access the service itself and fire an action on failure.  (A homegrown
tool could start with "lynx -dump" or something of that nature.)

For example, BigIP performs an app-level ping by hitting a specified URL
and testing the response content.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net