tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: HotSpot vs. Jikes + performance tuning
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:44:16 GMT
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:33:25AM -0700, Michael Mehrle wrote:
:I'm starting to run Tomcat 5.0.27 on a production server box. The
:question I have is as to which JVM to run it under.
:[snip]
:content under Tomcat as well. I expect there to be a lot of traffic on
:this site and maximizing resources is a MUST.
:
: ANY input would be appreciated.

Well, since you asked:

0/ test, test, test: that is, test load and functionality under various
JVMs.  See which one performs best, per your requirements.

1/ Tune, tune, tune: there's much more to performance than just the
JDK.  You'll also have to take heap, GC, etc into consideration.

2/ install this same JVM + configuration in production.

Ideally, you'd have similar hardware in both your test and production
environments, such that any tuning you do could be applied to both.

Given what I see on the list, I get the impression most of the people
here (or at least, most of the posters ;) use Sun's JVM.  -but YYMV, and
thus, you'd do yourself a favor to test it for yourself.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com