tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Another question (Placement)
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:53:56 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 03:44:32PM -0400, Phillip Blancher wrote:
: Well I just talked to the guy who I am doing this for and he said that
: looking at the site, all of the JSP files are sitting where the html files
: are and image folder with all images.

Is there any reason Apache *must* be in front of Tomcat?
(I missed your original post.)
Tomcat can serve static content just fine w/o Apache's httpd.

: So how do I get Tomcat to use the htdocs folder?

Try a different perspective:
how do you get Apache to use the Tomcat context directory as its
document root?

Long story short: it sounds like Apache and Tomcat will run on the same
machine, or at least have the files in the same directory location.
(I've run smaller sites like this.)

You could setup Tomcat as follows:
	{tomcat install}

	+- webapps

	   +-{your webapp}

	     +- /WEB-INF
	     |  |
	     |  +- web.xml
	     +_ ... html, JSPs, etc ..

Then, set Apache's document root to:

	{tomcat install}/webapps/{your webapp}

Finally, configure mod_jk or mod_jk2 to have Apache hand requests for
JSPs off to the Tomcat engine.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net