tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: DBCP with JDBC driver in WEB-INF/lib
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:09:39 GMT
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 01:49:24AM -0400, Steven J. Owens wrote:
:      My hosting provider is using an older driver that doesn't support
: some JDBC 3.0 features I'd like.
:
:      When I asked them about upgrading, they told me I could just stick
: the jar file for the more up-to-date driver in WEB-INF/lib and use that.
:
:      What I'm wondering is, how do I tell DBCP to use the WEB-INF/lib
: jar file?

I don't think this is possible -- IIRC Tomcat looks for DB drivers in
common/lib because that's handled by the container's classloader, not
the per-context classloader.  (This makes sense: think of where pooling
is handled.)

Review the Tomcat docs for DBCP.  You may find some ammo to hand back to
your admins.  It may not get them to change their minds, but at least
they would stop telling people to do something that won't work ;)

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com