tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerome Lacoste <jer...@coffeebreaks.org>
Subject RE: DBCP in Tomcat 5.0: must deploy some artifacts in /common/lib(classes) ?!
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:20:58 GMT
On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 15:34 -0400, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> That's because Tomcat bundles DBCP. If you want to separate them
> completely, put your copy in WEB-INF/lib, and the bundled copy in
> server/lib, and nothing for DBCP in the common or shared classloader
> repositories.

I still don't get why it doesn't work.

The Tomcat ClassLoader doc [1] says: "When a request to load a class
from the web application's WebappX class loader is processed, this class
loader will look in the local repositories first, instead of delegating
before looking."

To me that would mean that the ClassLoader that tries to load these
classes is not the web application ClassLoader, otherwise the files
would be loaded.

But my application seems to be the one that tries to load the
class/resource: the failure to load the resource happens below the web
application's code and not in some special tomcat initialization code.

Is it possible for you (or someone else) to explain me why ?

And second point, this seems to go against the notes made in the Tomcat
5.0 documentation. Maybe a note on that particular case should be done,
as Tomcat bundle DBCP, and many might encounter the problem?

> Yoav Shapira
> Millennium Research Informatics

Jerome

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-