tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerome Lacoste <jer...@coffeebreaks.org>
Subject what is the preferred way to instantiate MBeans at startup
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:12:28 GMT
Hi,

I am looking at this J2EE application, deployed on JBoss 3.x, which
could be ported easily to a pure servlet/jsp application if some of its
dependencies with JBoss were cut down.

One of these is the possibility to start services in JBoss using a
jboss.jcml file, and to register MBean instances in that file. JBoss
takes care of the instanciation and then allow one to control these
services at runtime.

I was wondering what would be the best to replace that functionality.

One simple way would be to register all my the MBean instances manually
from a Servlet that would be ran at startup (load-on-startup), maybe
adding a List of the couple (class name, MBean registration name) for
which an instance would need to be created and registered. I should then
probably have a look at the commons-modeler package which I think Tomcat
5 uses to handle its JMX objects.

Any comment on that solution or any alternatives?

Cheers,

Jerome