tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <m...@tngtech.com>
Subject Tomcat5 & Log4j "non-meaningful" thread names in loadbalanced environment vs. Tomcat4
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:28:39 GMT
Hi all,

i have been using Tomcat 4.x for quite a while and was using log4j for logging
purposes with a log4j pattern like this:

log4j.appender.logfile.layout.ConversionPattern=%-10r [%t] %d{ISO8601} %-5p %c
%x - %m%n

In Tomcat4.x with mod_jk1.x the thread names for [%t] I got looked like:

 [Ajp13Processor[9506][18]]

which is obviously quite meaningful, because you can not only see the thread
number, but also which ajp processor was used as you can see the port 9506,
too.
This is quite helpful, if you have a loadbalanced environment and all your log
messages are written to one single log file as you an see which Tomcat was
involved.

Since I'm running Tomcat 5.0.19 with mod_jk2.x, I only get for [%t]:

 [TP-Processor2]

Thus I can only see the thread number, but have not clue which Tomcat was
affected.

Is this because the naming scheme for threads changed in Tomcat 5 or is it
because I forgot to configure something in my Tomcat 5 setup?

I have no idea how to get my favorable port:thread number information back in my
logs. Anything I can do about this?

Hope you can help!

Thanks
Michael