tomcat-users mailing list archives

From derekmahar.1940...@bloglines.com
Subject Re: Create new Tomcat User mailing lists?
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:25:36 GMT
I agree that creating email filters is not difficult, but it still takes time,
especially when one must create filters for every mailing list to which one
subscribes.

Assuming that mail filters are accurate, why couldn't mailing
list servers automatically filter messages and categorize or label them (perhaps
in the subject) based on their content?

I look forward to the day when
my email client can magically associate, categorize, and/or label messages
that contain related content.

In any case, I'm leading this thread off-topic,
so I'll stop here.

Derek

--- Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
wrote:
Been talked about a few times and voted down.

> If there are
certain topics which one doesn't like - emial filters can easily
> kill
them. For example - I once killed all emails that contained IIS in it

because I don't care about IIS.

> Mozilla provides decent filtering for
placing emails in their appropriate
> folder/subfolder. For example:

- tomcat-user goes to one folder
> - tomcat-dev goes to another folder

- tomcat-dev cvs commits goes to another folder
> - and every other list
I belong to has its own sub-folder.

wrote:

> > Is there any chance that the Tomcat User mailing list maintainers
might split
> > the Tomcat User mailing list into multiple lists by topic?
 This would classify
> > and partition the mailing list traffic and would
allow a user to subscribe
> > to the topic(s) that interest him or her and
ignore those that don't.

> > As
> > the Tomcat User mailing
list traffic grows, I find it increasingly difficult
> > to sift through
the daily messages for those that I want to read.  I'm also
> > receiving
a lot more mail from this list (and other popular lists like Subversion

> User), much of it that I ignore because I don't have the time to read it.

> >  Multiple mailing lists would help alleviate these problems.
> >

> > Suggested
> > mailing list topics:
> >

> > Installation
and Configuration