tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yanbin Ma" <>
Subject apache2 and tomcat via jk2
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:47:14 GMT

I am new to this list. I have a question about use apache2 with tomcat.

When tomcat running in standalone mode, you can develop and deploy your
application easily. There is no configuration file to change on tomcat
side, no need to restart tomcat. Everything that's related to
application is contained in web.xml.

However, when you use apache with tomcat, I found the only way to pass a
url request correctly to tomcat is you must define some kind of mapping
(e.g. alias) in apache's httpd.conf. However, if your web application
uses relative path such as the one

Then what's possible with http://localhost:8080 <http://localhost:8080/>
(the default tomcat standalone) is impossible now when with apache.

Does anyone have any advices so that I can still use the self-contained
webapp configuration mechanism with and without apache?