tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Paul Wallace" <pa...@isell.com.au>
Subject RE: My first WebApplication
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:25:30 GMT
Hi to you,
	1st guess, you should have a dir for your application - WEB-INF,
not WEB-IN...unless it's a typo. In that dir make sure your web.xml
names and maps your servlet. Give it a go.

Paul. 

Hi to all

Sir/Madam

Please help me someone regarding my first WebApplication (Servlet):

I created  directories :
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ch03\WEB-IN\classes\com\wrox\projsp\ch03\myfirstwe
bapp

Then into my sayeed class i starated with a first line as:

package com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp
and other coding stuff.... for the java class..

I compile this java file (sayeed) and it compiled sucessfully and saved
into:
CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ch03\WEB-IN\classes\com\wrox\projsp\ch03\myfirstwe
bapp
\sayeed.class

Now after startup my tomcat server i put this into url browser which
gives
error:

http://localhost:8080/ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sa
yeed

the error is:

type Status report

message /ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed

description The requested resource
(/ch03/servlet/com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp.sayeed) is not
available.


Can anyone please help me?
thanx in advance

Saeed

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: RE: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps



Hola,
How did you install tomcat?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics


>-----Original Message-----
>From: Sayeed [mailto:sayeed@sitara.com.pk]
>Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 12:40 PM
>To: Tomcat Users List
>Subject: Re: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>
>Dear Filip
>thanx for the advice - i put the same command and it gives these
message :
>
>Dispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
>        at
>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Un
>known Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
>Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
>Source)
>        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
>
>Catalina.start: sun.misc.InvalidJarIndexException: Invalid index!
>sun.misc.InvalidJarIndexException: Invalid index!
>        at
>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java
>:2540)
>        at
>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java
>:2566)
>        at
>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1276)
>
>        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown
>Sour
>ce)
>        at
>org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unkn
>own Source)
>        at
>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElemen
>t(Unknown Source)
>        at
>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContent
>Dispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
>        at
>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Un
>known Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
>Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
>Source)
>        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
>
>c:\apache\tomcat\bin
>
>plz advice
>
>Saeed
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devlists@hanik.com>
>To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 9:10 PM
>Subject: Re: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>
>
>> > type
>> >
>> > catalina.bat run
>>
>> RTFM
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Sayeed" <sayeed@sitara.com.pk>
>> To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Cc: <devlists@hanik.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:16 AM
>> Subject: Re: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>>
>>
>> Dear Filip
>> if I issues catalina.bat in DOS then this is all:
>>
>> C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>catalina
>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\APACHE\TOMCAT\temp
>> Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\jdk1.3
>> Usage:  catalina ( commands ... )
>> commands:
>>   debug             Start Catalina in a debugger
>>   debug -security   Debug Catalina with a security manager
>>   embedded          Start Catalina in embedded mode
>>   jpda start        Start Catalina under JPDA debugger
>>   run               Start Catalina in the current window
>>   run -security     Start in the current window with security manager
>>   start             Start Catalina in a separate window
>>   start -security   Start in a separate window with security manager
>>   stop              Stop Catalina
>> C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>
>>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devlists@hanik.com>
>> To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:44 PM
>> Subject: Re: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>>
>>
>> > in your dos window, instead of typing
>> > startup.bat
>> >
>> > type
>> >
>> > catalina.bat run
>> >
>> > and tomcat will run in the same window, and show you the error
>> >
>> > Filip
>> >
>> > ----- Original Message -----
>> > From: "Sayeed" <sayeed@sitara.com.pk>
>> > To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> > Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 10:50 AM
>> > Subject: Re: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>> >
>> >
>> > DEAR Yoav Shapira
>> >
>> > I  have a question for you sir.
>> >
>> > I start learning JSP and ohter J2EE tools recently.
>> > I buy a book of "Professional JSP 2nd Edition".
>> >
>> > Sir i am facing a problem:
>> >
>> > I dowload jakarta_tomcat 4.1.30.exe from the website.
>> >
>> > I already do have jdk1.3 at my PC ( iam using win98 OS).
>> >
>> > Now after installing jakarta_tomcat to a folder "c\apache\tomcat",
>> > I create two environment variables into my Autoexe.bat file as
under :
>> >
>> > set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.3
>> > set CATALINA_HOME=C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
>> >
>> >  Now when I Start Tomcat - a DOS base window is opened and remained
>active
>> > for few seconds and then close automatically. Also i try
Startup.bat
>file
>> at
>> > MS DOS promt, it shows some lines as follows:
>> >
>> >     C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>startup
>> >     Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
>> >     Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\APACHE\TOMCAT
>> >     Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\APACHE\TOMCAT\temp
>> >     Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\jdk1.3
>> >     C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin>
>> > And in the mid also a new DOS base window shows a name 'Java'
opened
>for
>> few
>> > seconds and automatically closed.
>> >
>> > Sir/Madam, whats the wrong with the tomcat? coz as per book
>instructions
>> it
>> > must shows a Catalina named window and remained active till I did
not
>> issue
>> > a command Shutdown.
>> >
>> > So please guide me what I should do in this connection in detail.
>> >
>> > An early reply shall highly bhe appreicated.
>> >
>> >
>> > Saeed
>> > Programmer
>> >
>> > ----- Original Message -----
>> > From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
>> > To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>> > Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 5:43 PM
>> > Subject: RE: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> > Make sure the java installations are clean, i.e. there are no extra
xml
>> > API or parser implementations (or Digester, come to think of it) in
>your
>> > jre/lib/ext directory (off $JAVA_HOME).
>> >
>> > Yoav Shapira
>> > Millennium Research Informatics
>> >
>> >
>> > >-----Original Message-----
>> > >From: Debra Bartling [mailto:bartling@peer.berkeley.edu]
>> > >Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 5:25 PM
>> > >To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>> > >Subject: Error Starting Sample Tomcat Webapps
>> > >
>> > >Tomcat 5.0.27, binary distribution, on two different servers, one
>> > works,
>> > >one doesn't. My development server (Solaris 8) works OK when I
unpack
>> > >Tomcat and start it up with the demo webapps (as well as with my
own).
>> > On
>> > >my production server (Solaris 9) Tomcat does not start up
correctly
>and
>> > >gives the following:
>> > >
>> > >2004-07-19 12:11:25 StandardHost[localhost]: Error deploying
>> > application at
>> > >context path null
>> > >java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:
2
>> > 540)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:
2
>> > 566)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1061)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.util.CatalinaDigester.endElement(CatalinaDigester.
j
>> > ava:
>> > >76)
>> > > at
>> > org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
>> > >Source)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(U
n
>> > know
>> > >n
>> > >Source)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentD
i
>> > spat
>> > >cher.dispatch(Unknown
>> > >Source)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unk
n
>> > own
>> > >Source)
>> > > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
>> > Source)
>> > > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown
>> > Source)
>> > > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>> > > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
>> > Source)
>> > > at
>> > org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1567)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDepl
o
>> > yer.
>> > >java:488)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:863)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.ja
v
>> > a:48
>> > >2)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:427)
>> > > at
>> > org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:968)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:
3
>> > 49)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycle
S
>> > uppo
>> > >rt.java:119)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1091)
>> > > at
>> > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:789)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1083)
>> > > at
>> >
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:478)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:48
0
>> > )
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2313
)
>> > > at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
>> > > at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>> > > at
>> >
>>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
a
>> > va:3
>> > >9)
>> > > at
>> >
>>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
o
>> > rImp
>> > >l.java:25)
>> > > at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>> > > at
>> > org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:284)
>> > > at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>> > > at
>> >
>>sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.j
a
>> > va:3
>> > >9)
>> > > at
>> >
>>sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccess
o
>> > rImp
>> > >l.java:25)
>> > > at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>> > > at
>> >
>>org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java
:
>> > 218)
>> > >
>> > >My configurations are exactly the same except for the difference
in
>the
>> > >operating system. Any suggestions?
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > >To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> > >For additional commands, e-mail:
tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business
>> > communication, and may contain information that is confidential,
>> proprietary
>> > and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the
individual(s)
>to
>> > whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed,
disclosed
>or
>> > used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient,
please
>> > immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify
the
>> > sender.  Thank you.
>> >
>> >
>> >
---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> > For additional commands, e-mail:
tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>> >
>> >
>> >
---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> > For additional commands, e-mail:
tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>> >
>> >
>> >
---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> > For additional commands, e-mail:
tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>> >
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org




This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business
communication, and may contain information that is confidential,
proprietary
and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s)
to
whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed
or
used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the
sender.  Thank you.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message