tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <j...@wendysmoak.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat installation problem
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:01:42 GMT
From: "Julian" <developer@joolze.com>
> Hi Wendy. That part works great. I get the welcome page and the samples
> are good too.

Okay... then where do you want to go from here?  It sounds like you're
wanting to put your JSP files over in your Apache document root.  While you
probably *could* get it to work that way, that's not typically how this
works.  JSP's belong to a "webapp" and those are Tomcat entities, generally
living under /path/to/tomcat/webapps.  Look there and you'll see a couple
that come with Tomcat-- 'examples' and 'ROOT' for example.

The easiest thing to do while playing around and learning is to just add
things to the existing 'examples' webapp.  Most of the tutorials you find on
the web will work if you put them there.  Then you'll learn to create your
own webapp, which will be placed right beside 'examples', then to create a
.war file and deploy it, etc...

Is Apache important to you?  Tomcat works just fine standalone... you can
even change server.xml so that Tomcat listens on port 80.  This is what I do
on my development box, although we do use Apache+Tomcat in production.

--
Wendy Smoak