tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <j...@wendysmoak.com>
Subject Re: Another question (Placement)
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:56:19 GMT
From: "Phillip Blancher" <pblancher@hotmail.com>
> Well I just talked to the guy who I am doing this for and he said that
> looking at the site, all of the JSP files are sitting where the html files
> are and image folder with all images.
> So how do I get Tomcat to use the htdocs folder?

If the HTML and JSP files are living together, is it possible that there is
no Apache involved in the current site?  Tomcat [alone] will serve HTML and
JSP and images and get it right.  Unless you have a reason for adding
Apache, I'd stick with Tomcat standalone.

You can convince Tomcat to use the htdocs folder-- there's no rule that
webapps have to live under /path/to/tomcat/webapps.  But using *that* folder
is going to cause some problems-- for one you'll be required to put a
WEB-INF under it-- and then you have to tell Apache not to serve anything in
or underneath WEB-INF.  Just seems like you're asking for trouble doing it
this way.  In addition you're going to have to configure the connector
between Apache and Tomcat, not always a straightforward task.

--
Wendy Smoak