tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Edd Dawson" <E.J.Daw...@derby.ac.uk>
Subject Advice needed on deploying on Tomcat 5.0.25
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:28:45 GMT
Hi

I recently installed Tomcat 5.0.25 on my windows laptop.

I did have 4.x installed and i copied over my faithful HelloWorld
example from 4.x/webapps directory to my new 5.0.25/webapps directory..

and it doesn't work! I get the following error :

HTTP Status 404 - /hello/servlet/HelloWorld

type Status report

message /hello/servlet/HelloWorld

description The requested resource (/hello/servlet/HelloWorld) is not
available

It still works fine on 4.x.

So i tried putting the class file in the /class directory of the
servlets-examples webapp that came with 5.0.25 and it didn't work until
i added its details the web.xml for that app.

Now do i HAVE to have a web.xml now i am using 5.0.25 ? as with 4.x it
wasn't a requirement.

cheers
Edd Dawson