tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Emre" <em...@teneke.com>
Subject FW: Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat Configuration Help
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:42:24 GMT

I need serious help with Tomcat and mod_jk configuration.

Currently I am running a website that gets about 1 million page hits a day.
Lately, there has been serious issues with my Tomcat servers. I believe this
is due to higher than average traffic. This prompts me to better configure
and fine tune my Tomcat and Apache servers.

When the usage is low, I observer sub 1 second processing times per jsp page
(per my mod_jk log file).

I am using Apache 1.3.30, mod_jk 1.2.5, and Tomcat 4.1.30

Currently I am running 4 Tomcat instances on one server and the Apache HTTP
server on another.
The following is the Connector setting I have for each Tomcat instance:

acceptCount="100" bufferSize="2048" compression="off" connectionLinger="-1"
connectionTimeout="0" connectionUploadTimeout="300000" debug="0"
disableUploadTimeout="false" enableLookups="true" maxKeepAliveRequests="400"
maxProcessors="1000" minProcessors="50" address="192.168.0.4" port="8009"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"
proxyPort="0" redirectPort="8443" scheme="http" secure="false"
serverSocketTimeout="0" tcpNoDelay="true" tomcatAuthentication="true"
useBodyEncodingForURI="true" useURIValidationHack="false">
      <Factory
className="org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory"/>
    </Connector>

The machine that is running Tomcat servers has Dual Xeon 2.4GHz processors
with 4GB of RAM.

At peak hours, we have about 3000 simultaneous users logged in.

I already have my Apache MaxConnections set to 5000, therefore I know there
is no problem there.

Can someone please give me advise on how I should be configuring my
Connectors?

Also, I noticed that load balancing lbfactor in mod_jk is not working
properly, given each worker has the same lbfactor value, the first one in
the workers list gets many more requests than the second one. And the second
one gets more than the third one, and so on.

Bottom line: I am looking for recommendations to better configure my app
servers.

Thanx in advance