tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <>
Subject RE: Memory Settings On Tomcat
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:36:59 GMT
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

| Hola,

| >I know - but Sun's VMs surely seems to follow your suggestions!
| They might, and they might not, that's the point.  Other VM
| implementations can choose to ignore System.gc(), or even Sun
| implementations on certain platforms (many J2ME installations ignore
| these calls).

Yes - and I suggested that one could try it out, just for kicks..! ;)

| That depends on your platform and settings.

Most definately - but Sun's VMs have been doing this for some time
(always?), and thus the gc() diff is interesting on this particular VM, at

| >I have to debug this now, it will be interesting to see if it is Tomcat
| >code or my code that have the bug..! ;)
| It is expected that every reload will increase total memory usage,
| monotonically, it's not a bug, and there are numerous discussions about
| this and related issues in the arhicves.

Okay? Expected? I don't get that. Can you point me to a email-subject of
one of those threads? Or several?!

Thanks for info, anyway!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: