tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Adrian Cho <Adrian_...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Matching source for Tomcat binary drops
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:38:26 GMT
Yoav

I didn't misunderstand your reply or perhaps I did and I don't reliease. 
It does seem however that there is some knowledge of what source one 
should get in order get a complete matching source tree for a given Tomcat 
binary release, that is not obvious at least to me.  If I go to the Apache 
site and download the source for Tomcat 4.1.30, I do not find 
ByteChunk.java in there.  Have I missed it or is there another source zip 
I must download?  I understand that the source for MX4J and 
commons-logging and other discrete packages is maintained elsewhere (at 
Apache.org or somewhere else) but there seem to be some specific classes 
that I am missing and unless I believe there is no need to go to CVS since 
the "source distro contains source code from all relevant CVS modules".

Adrian

Adrian Cho
Manager, Intellectual Property
IBM Ottawa Lab
2670 Queensview Drive
Ottawa, Canada K2B 8K1
Phone: (613) 726-5536
Fax: (613) 820 1202
Website:  http://www.can.ibm.com/ottawalab/
E-mail: adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com



"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> 
06/04/2004 01:39 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List"


To
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Matching source for Tomcat binary drops







Hi,
You misunderstood my reply.  All the TOMCAT source code for a given
TOMCAT release is available in the source distribution for that release.
So jakarta-tomcat-5.0.25-src.zip contains all the TOMCAT source code for
that release.  I'm highling TOMCAT because source code for other
libraries that tomcat uses/depends upon is obviously not included in the
tomcat source distribution.

When we package binaries, we split into different jars for various
reasons, so it ends up in tomcat-coyote.jar, tomcat-util.jar, etc,
rather than one big tomcat.jar.  This is a standard practice followed by
most vendors and products.

There are several CVS modules comprising the tomcat source, but that's a
separate issue from the source distro, as the source distro contains
source code from all relevant CVS modules.

I'm not sure I understand your ByteChunk example.
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.class is in
$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/tomcat-util.jar.  If you download a source
distro, you will find org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.java without
a problem, at
jakarta-tomcat-[VERSION]-src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/org/apa
che/tomcat/util/buf.  If you don't know the path, you can do a simple
file search or find to find it.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics


>-----Original Message-----
>From: Adrian Cho [mailto:Adrian_Cho@ca.ibm.com]
>Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 12:49 PM
>To: Tomcat Users List
>Subject: RE: Matching source for Tomcat binary drops
>
>Yes I did although I didn't check it until I realised I had posted to
the
>list owner instead of the list.
>
>In response to off-list reply:
>
>I'm wondering what the point of the Tomcat source drop is if one has to
go
>to CVS to get the source for modules such as tomcat-http11 and
>tomcat-coyote.jar and why would a class such as say "ByteChunk" in
>tomcat-util.jar have no corresponding source in the corresponding
source
>drop?
>
>I think it would be useful for those that want all the corresponding
>source for a Tomcat binary drop, to know what source is missing from
the
>Tomcat source drops.
>
>
>Adrian Cho
>Manager, Intellectual Property
>IBM Ottawa Lab
>2670 Queensview Drive
>Ottawa, Canada K2B 8K1
>Phone: (613) 726-5536
>Fax: (613) 820 1202
>Website:  http://www.can.ibm.com/ottawalab/
>E-mail: adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com
>
>
>
>"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
>06/04/2004 09:20 AM
>Please respond to
>"Tomcat Users List"
>
>
>To
>"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>cc
>
>Subject
>RE: Matching source for Tomcat binary drops
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Hi,
>You got my answer yesterday, right?  This seems to still be the initial
>question.
>
>Yoav Shapira
>Millennium Research Informatics
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Adrian Cho [mailto:Adrian_Cho@ca.ibm.com]
>>Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 9:16 AM
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: Matching source for Tomcat binary drops
>>
>>A team I am working for is redistributing Tomcat 4.1.30 in binary
form.
>I
>>want to inspect all the matching source code.  In other words, if I
>wanted
>>to get the source to rebuild the same set of binaries, where would I
>get
>>this?
>>
>>The reason is that I did some checking and I found that many of the
>jars
>>in the binary drops, do not have matching source in the Tomcat source
>>drop.  The full list I concluded was something like this:
>>
>>tomcat-http11.jar - all?
>>tomcat-util.jar - ByteChunk?
>>tomcat-coyote.jar - all?
>>servlet.jar - all?
>>mx4j-jmx.jar - all?
>>jakarta-regexp-1.3.jar - all?
>>commons-modeler.jar - all?
>>commons-logging-api.jar - all?
>>commons-logging.jra - all?
>>commons-digester.jar - all?
>>commons-collections.jar - all?
>>commons-beanutils.jar - all?
>>
>>a) Now for some of these such as commons-logging.jar,
>>jakarta-regexp-1.3.jar, etc. I can see some source drops on the source
>>download page linked from the Tomcat page although I don't know which
>>version of these packages is used in (for example) Tomcat 4.1.30 so I
>>don't know which version of the source I should get.
>>
>>b) I can't find other packages such as tomcat-http11.jar,
>>tomcat-coyote-jar and servlet.jar anywhere.
>>
>>c) At least one package (tomcat-util.jar) seems to have source for
most
>of
>>the classes in the Tomcat source drop but at least one class
>(ByteChunk)
>>is not there.
>>
>>I'd appreciate any hints as how I can find the exact matching source
>for
>>what is in the Tomcat 4.1.30 binary drop.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Adrian
>>
>>Adrian Cho
>>Manager, Intellectual Property
>>IBM Ottawa Lab
>>2670 Queensview Drive
>>Ottawa, Canada K2B 8K1
>>Phone: (613) 726-5536
>>Fax: (613) 820 1202
>>Website:  http://www.can.ibm.com/ottawalab/
>>E-mail: adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>
>
>
>
>This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business
>communication, and may contain information that is confidential,
>proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the
>individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied,
>printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an)
>intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your
>computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>
>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org




This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business 
communication, and may contain information that is confidential, 
proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the 
individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, 
printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) 
intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your 
computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message