tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Bookey" <ben.boo...@gistec-online.de>
Subject RFC and j_security_checks
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:38:27 GMT

Dear List,

Q.1 We implement the integrated security model inside our app context
[defined in server.xml ].

	<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@	100.100.100.60:1521:ingeo"
connectionName="ingeonew" connectionPassword="ingeonew" userTable="users"
userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass" 	userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="role_name" />

	When Tomcat 4.1.27 has been started and I goto the site, I get sometime
http://myapp/j_security_check in the navigation bar of my browser, and then
we 	get a 500 error I believe (might even be 404). Could anyone explain what
could be going on ?

Q.2  We have inside our WEB-INF\classes directory a com.ourapp.appname with
all our database classes.

     When I copy the app, from our development windows machine on to the
linux server, and start tomcat there, it compiles the jsp files and
     servlets but not the java files inside the WEB-INF\classes DIR.

     How can I force Tomcat to compile all the contents of the WEB-INF dir
including the java classes we have written.

Q.3  I am actually amazed (and impressed) that the windows compiled classes,
work on the linux machine!! My understanding is that the compiled
     byte-code is operating system dependent. i.e. our windows .class files
should not be able to work on linux ? or am I imagining it ?

     I understood that "write-once and run-anywhere" meant that the java
files still needed to be recompiled ??

Q.4 I recently had a reply┬┤to a question(in the Apache FileUpload commons
mailing list!) that the file name passed from a browser uploading to
    a server is not set by any standard and he mentioned the RFC (after I
googled, I guess means Request for Change).

    Who is actually responsible for determining the HTTP standard itself, is
there an org called
    RFC or is it a mechanism of the WC3 ?

Looking forward to any replies.

regards,