tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Bookey" <ben.boo...@gistec-online.de>
Subject Tomcat Logging.. whats the best way ?
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:01:34 GMT

Dear List,

We have written a webapp, and now I want to add some logging inside.
The app has jsp pages, servlets and a java package of classes for jdbc
database interaction.

O.k. as I understood Tomcat does support logging via, catalina.out etc.
The logfile can even be configured based on each web descriptor web.xml
file. This seems quite flexible until you want to start monitoring
whats going on inside of the com.package, not just inside the servlet
container. So it seems to me that we need to create/use a logger class (e.g.
log4j)
for the package.

Am i right in understanding that its normal-case to use a log4j type
method of logging denug info for internal purposes. Its not recommended
to use JUST Tomcat logging for the complete web app.?

Would appreciate any view,

regards
BB