tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Conner <jcon...@uplogix.com>
Subject How to optimize Tomcat SSL
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:56:05 GMT
Is there any way to optimize Tomcat's SSL implementation?

Can I change the protocol to only use 40 bit encryption?
Can I change the default keep alive time for the SSL session?
Are there any other values for 'protocol' other than TLS?

I am running a web app that is using Axis for web service communication
to alot of client apps.  These apps communicate to the server every 30
seconds.  I would like a way to cache the SSL session so that
handshaking is not happening every time.

It looks like the typical answer to optimizing SSL is to not use Tomcat
for SSL and use Apache.  Is that really the recommended solution?

Here is my current config:

        <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
                    port="8443"
                    minProcessors="5"
                    maxProcessors="100"
                    connectionTimeout="60000"
                    enableLookups="true"
                    acceptCount="10"
                    debug="0"
                    scheme="https"
                    secure="true">
           <Factory
className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
                    clientAuth="true"
                    protocol="TLS"
                    keystoreFile="/serverKeys"
                    keystorePass="password"/>