tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank Zammetti" <fzamm...@hotmail.com>
Subject Vexing session creation issue
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:35:43 GMT
I sent this to the Struts mailing list as well, but it seems like it could
be a Tomcat issue as well (probably just some config option I don't know
about)...

Argh, this one is hurting my head...

I have an application that starts out by returning index.jsp (it's the
welcome file).  This JSP opens a new window via JavaScript and loads into it
index1.jsp.  index1.jsp populates five frames of a frameset.  At the end of
all this, my logon screen is seen.

The important thing to note here is that no Actions are executed to this
point, it's just loading JSP's, and there is not really any JSP code in any
of these except for a bunch of request.getContextPath() calls.  No code
accesses session or anything like that, and there are only two references to
getting anything out of request (because the logon page might be shown after
a bad attempt, and I need to get the userID and password that was
attempted).  In all of them, I have session="false" in the page tag.

Now... I've created a SessionListener to tell me when a session is created
or destroyed.  Problem is, during all these JSP loads, the create event
fires TWICE!  What's worse, session is NOT null (which I expected it to be),
and worse still, I'm getting two DIFFERENT session ID's!  It looks like two
sessions are being created when it seems like absolutely NONE should be.

I'm banging my head against the wall with this one.  Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks folks!

Frank