tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Someone Else" <lunarm...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Significant Deployment Issue - Unsolvable?
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:51:12 GMT
Hi QM,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Our system is running 150 similar web apps - they are sharing the codebase -
only the jsps are different.

We've done significant profiling and discovered only the following:

There are a lot of byte arrays that are being produced. We looked into this
as it could be a mem leak, but no specific operation created a whole bunch
of them at one time. They were being created in some sort of input and
output buffer classes - I have no idea why. We rely exclusively on GC to
clean up used objects, but as I understand it the servlet end of life will
free everything for GC so this doesn't appear to be the issue.

Either way, on our simulated system the mem usage stabilized and did not
grow after a certain point and we could not get it to crash.

Our test system only has 2 virtual hosts instead of 150. Also, it runs in a
much more restricted mem environment and stabilizes around 30 MB usage.

Splitting the instances would work well if there were 150 different web
apps, but since they are all essentially the same, multiple
instances/machines would only prolong the expactancy, but would not solve
the problem.

Any suggestions?

Lunar