tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Multiple requests sharing the same Servlet instance
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:36:58 GMT

Hi,

>But if a Servlet instance might be used by multiple threads at one
time,
>then what's the point of having Servlet object pooling at all? Why
wouldn't

It might and it might not.  My point was that the Servlet Spec leaves it
for the container implementation to decide, and so you should be
careful.

>all requests just use one instance? I still don't see how I can have
>variables that are just for storing a single thread's working data. The

You can do so easily inside any method, or in ThreadLocal variables, or
in request-scope attributes, or in other non-servlet object pools that
you write (or use a 3rd party pooling library).  The ways are plentiful
and except for the request attributes they're not specific to servlet
containers (nor is this issue in general specific to servlet
containers).

>way I can do anything like this is to attach attributes to the request.
But
>this seems to be a kludge to me. I don't want to have to use Strings to
get
>to my data by way of a Map. I want regular Java local variables.

Address your comments, suggestions, etc. to the Servlet Specification
JSR team (it's JSR154).  I'm just telling you what the spec guarantees
and what it doesn't ;)

Yoav