tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: tomcat daily restart
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:03:40 GMT

Hi,
Well, you're killing all java processes.  That seems a bit excessive, especially running as
root since you WILL kill other people's jobs.

You didn't specify your tomcat version.  Assuming it's from within the last year, there is
a catalina-pid option you can set in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh.  If set, the process
ID (PID) of the tomcat server will be written to the file specified in that attribute.  Your
script would then look for this file and kill the PID specified in the file.  You could run
this script as the tomcat server user, you don't need to be root, and your overall setup would
be more secure and more robust.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics