tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: JSVC to run tomcat?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:09:02 GMT

Hi,
That's mostly right on: I'll add a couple of small things.

>As for exactly, I can't say, but my understanding is that jsvc start
the
>process, in this case tomcat, then after tomcat has allocated the ports
on
>80 and/or 443 the privileges are then change to the level of the user
>specified in the startup script.

Yup.  The ports are bound (we prefer that term over "allocated" for
historical reasons mostly, but it's consistent in the literature) and
then changes the user.  The concept is exactly that of the Unix classic
setuid/seteuid variants (Google for them if you want more background,
e.g. http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/setuid-usenix02.pdf).

>Although I have no data to back my opinion, I have seen no slowdown of
the
>system or drop in performance. There is no increase in memory or cpu
when
>run with jsvc and without. Others may have definitive numbers to
>prove/disprove my observations.

In theory there should be no performance difference.  Other than the
port binding hoop at the beginning there are no other layers or calls
added to the JVM's execution at all, hence no performance difference.

Yoav Shapira