tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale, Matt" <Matt.D...@beCogent.com>
Subject RE: authentication with ldap after doing an ldap search
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:00:36 GMT

We do something similar to authenticate against active directory. The way we do it is to have
a generic log in, the application logs in and searches for what in your case would be the
namsid using the uid as a parameter. You then need to bind with the namsid that you've looked
up and the password to determine authentication.

Ta
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: James Black [mailto:jblack@ieee.org]
Sent: 28 June 2004 21:55
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: re: authentication with ldap after doing an ldap search

Our ldap dn is namsid=number,ou=school,o=school

The problem is that the student don't know their namsid, they know their
uid.

I need a way for tomcat to first do a search, looking for anything where
uid=netid (which is what the student passed in), then use that entries
dn to bind and verify the password that was also entered.

Is there anyway to do this in Tomcat?

I have the authentication working if the person known their namsid, but
few people will as it is used internally.

Thank you.

--
"Love is mutual self-giving that ends in self-recovery." Fulton Sheen
James Black    james@usf.edu