tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale, Matt" <Matt.D...@beCogent.com>
Subject RE: Managing Tomcat logs
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:12:16 GMT

You could add a customer Logger tag to the context in your server.xml and add the swallowOutput="true"
attribute, this will put standard out and standard error into the log file that you specify
which is rotated on a daily basis automatically for you by tomcat.

Ta
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Veera Sivakumar [mailto:vsivakumar@rm.com]
Sent: 22 June 2004 10:47
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Managing Tomcat logs

Hi,
I am using Tomcat as web server for my application. I start Tomcat using windows service.
All the logs generated by the Application are written in to a file called stdout.log which
is under tomca/logs folder.
I have noticed that with continuous use of application,stdout file size increasing to a large
extent. To delete the it I have to stop the tomcat.
Is there any way that I can manage the logs date wise automatically(without manual intervention).
I am not using any third party tool for logging.
The logging mechanism I use is very simple.

We have class Debug.java that have a method log(String);
This log() method use System.out.println();
In the application, I use Debug.log("Exception");

I will be more happy if there is any way to manage logs.
I have also noticed the following logs generated by Tomcat:
1.localhost_log.2004-06-18.txt
2.localhost_access_log.2004_06_22.txt

How to maintain these logs?. Can we off them permanently?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
S.V.Sivakumar
QCA Project
Tata Infotech Limited
Tel:	+44 1235 823411
vsivakumar@rm.com / veera.surathu@tatainfotech.com

Visit our website at http://www.rm.com

This message is confidential.  You should not copy it
or disclose its contents to anyone.  You may use and apply the information
only for the intended purpose.  Internet communications are not secure and
therefore RM does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message.  Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and
not those of RM.  If this email has come to you in error please delete it
and any attachments.  Please note that RM may intercept incoming and
outgoing e-mail communications.

This email has been scanned for viruses by Trend ScanMail.