tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andi Reinbrech <ARein...@multichoice.co.za>
Subject RE: [OT] JSP/Servlet Hosting
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:07:02 GMT
Try www.tektonic.net - I have a VPS there, it's awesome: full root access,
3gb disk space, 50gb transfers, runs java & tomcat & postgresql & squid etc.
etc. etc.  for $18/mo - they even host your domain name in their dns for
free

-----Original Message-----
From: Schalk [mailto:schalk@volume4.co.za]
Sent: 07 June 2004 10:28 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: [OT] JSP/Servlet Hosting

Hey there

I am getting a little concerned about Java's position as far as a
development language for the web. The reason I say this is because trying to
find good, reliable hosting at a competitive price, by competitive I mean
against the price of hosting PHP based sites, is almost impossible. You
either have a situation where the company claims to support Tomcat but then
only allows JSP's or they allow both JSP's and Servlets but not
servlet-mappings via web.xml.

The there are the companies who do claim to provide full support on VPS
plans but when it comes to getting Apache and Tomcat properly set-up things
go pear shaped and the whole thing falls apart. Finally when one does find a
company that meets all the criteria the price is usually at least $200+
above what the same site would cost to host if it was written in PHP. No
weird configurations or big name enterprise application server are included
in these plans.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue or am I to understand that PHP
should be your standard web development language and Java should only be
used for HUGE enterprise type application development?

Kind Regards

Schalk Neethling

Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding

Tel: +27125468436

Fax: +27125468436

email:schalk@volume4.co.za

web: www.volume4.com

confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party
without the permission of the sender. If you received this message in error,
please notify me immediately so that I can correct and delete the original
email. Thank you.

Everything in this e-mail and attachments relating to the official business of MultiChoice
Africa is proprietary to
the company. Any view or opinion expressed in this message may be the view of the individual
and should not automatically
be ascribed to the company.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use,
disseminate, distribute or
copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
by email, facsimile
or telephone and destroy the original message.