tomcat-users mailing list archives

From HasanA <Has...@cpw.co.uk>
Subject RE: Too many open files on Solaris
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:08:13 GMT
I am having similar problem and i am running Tomcat 4.0 on Open vms 7.2. We
have increased number of files open by a process to some ridiculous value
but this error is still comming up.

Can someone also help with this issue?

Thanks
Ajwat

-----Original Message-----
From: Davor Cengija [mailto:davor.cengija@mail.inet.hr]
Sent: 16 June 2004 09:59
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Too many open files on Solaris

My application is hitting that 'too many open files' limit on Solaris.

Jun 15, 2004 11:23:01 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
acceptSocket
SEVERE: Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8080]
ignored exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:353)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:448)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:419)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultSe
rverSocketFactory.java:107)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:387)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:557)
        at
a:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Jun 15, 2004 11:23:01 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
closeServerSocket
SEVERE: Caught exception trying to unlock accept on 8080
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
Jun 15, 2004 11:23:01 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
acceptSocket
WARNING: Reinitializing ServerSocket

I realize that increasing file descriptor limit per process could help a
bit, but my system administrator simply doesn't want to do that (since it
requires restart).

Now, the problem is how to avoid too many open files exception. Any
suggestions regarding Tomcat (or Apache) configuration, coding practice,
some runtime operating system parameters would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my configuration:

Default Solaris 8 (I believe) installation on 2CPU+4GB RAM box. TCP
connection wait timeout (I believe that the correct wording) is decreased
from 240sec to 60sec and that's the only parameter changed on Solaris.

Tomcat 4.1.30 with j2sdk 1.4.2_04 (server mode) with Apache 2.0 as a proxy.
Every single request goes through Apache which then routes it to Tomcat.
600.000 hits and cca 3GB of data daily, with peaks during working hours, of
course, about 50.000 hits per hour. The delivered content consists mostly
of small images (3-20k) delivered directly from a database (servlet sets
content type etc, img src="/preview?id=123" style)

Application lives about 24hours and then dies with the exception shown
above. As far as I can see, all input- and output- streams are flushed and
closed, at least in my application. Cannot guarantee for the underlining
libraries.

Somehow I think that I cannot squeeze the application anymore and that we're
hitting tomcat+solaris limit.

Ahm... whoever managed to completelly read this rather long post I hope will
have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Davor
--
Davor Cengija, dcengija_IQ_Filter_@inet.hr

This communication together with any attachments transmitted with it ("this E-Mail") is intended
only for the use of the addressee and may contain information which is privileged and confidential.
 If the reader of this E-Mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this E-Mail is strictly prohibited.  Addressees should
check this E-mail for viruses.  The Company makes no representations as regards the absence
of viruses in this E-Mail.  If you have received this E-Mail in error please notify our ISe
Response Team immediately by telephone on +44 (0)20 8896 5828 or via e-mail at postmaster@cpw.co.uk
 Please then immediately delete, erase or otherwise destroy this E-Mail and any copies of
it.

Any opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily constitute
the views of the Company.  Nothing in this E-Mail shall bind the Company in any contract or
obligation.

For the purposes of this E-Mail "the Company" means The Carphone Warehouse Group Plc and/or
any of its subsidiaries.

Please feel free to visit our website:  http:// www.carphonewarehouse.com or http://www.phonehouse.com

The Carphone Warehouse Group Plc (Registered in England No. 3253714) 1 Portal Way, London
W3 6RS