tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat and hot code deployment
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:48:17 GMT
At 10:37 PM 6/21/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey!
>
>As far as I understand, hot code deployment, is when you modify .class
>inside /WEB-INF/classes, and tomcat reloads it,  correct?
>
>If so, is it true, that whenever it reloads it, the OLD instance of static
>objects, threads, and properties stay alive, that is, tomcat doesn’t
>destroy them?   Is that why many  developers don’t use hot code
>deployment on production servers?  Because I’ve been trying to debug my
>app, and I realized this pattern, and if I am correct, then my application
>is bug-free.

I haven't attempted to verify what you are saying, but it seems to me that
if the classes containing static variables exist inside WEB-INF/lib or
WEB-INF/classes, they should reflect any changes made to code as the
WebappClassLoader is dumped and recreated upon reload.  Are you sure you
aren't referencing static variables from classes existing in common/lib,
common/classes, shared/lib, or shared/classes?  Those wouldn't be reloaded.

Jake