tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Emerson Cargnin <emer...@tre-sc.gov.br>
Subject Re: Log rotation HOWTO
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:53:37 GMT
I thought that would be an easier way, just as you can do using a 
diferent class appender with log4j.

Trond Hersløv wrote:
> Oh, no....SYNTAX ERROR..sorry
>  
> WRONG: 
> 0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/rotate_log 2>&1
>  
> I forgot to name the log file (otherwise you overwrite your rotate_log
> script, and it will only work once):
> RIGHT:
> 0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/logfile 2>&1
>  
> Anyway...a good example of how you not should name your files..
>  
> \trond
>  
>  
> Hi, maybe you would try the following:
> 
> Create a bash-script (or on windows a .bat, with modifications)
> 
> create a file called e.g. /path/to/script/rotate_log
> 
> #!/bin/sh
> 
> file_to_zip=`date +'%m%d'
> 
> cp /your_path_to/catalina.out /your_rot_dir/$file_to_zip
> 
> echo -n "" > catalina.out
> 
> cd /your_rot_dir
> 
> gzip $file_to_zip
> 
> cd /your_path_to
> 
> $ crontab -e (as a user with reading permission for catalina.log and add the
> following line to rotate the log 1 am every day)
> 
> 0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/rotate_log 2>&1
> 
> If you are very unlucky, you might loose log entrys between the cp statement
> and the echo statement.
> 
> At least this doesn't change the i-node of the catalina.out file, hence the
> logging should continue.
> 
> I have not tried this myself, and there is NO WARRENTY that it is working.
> 
> I SUGGEST you await some comments from other users here before you trie it
> out.
> 
> Be aware of possible misspellings of file names. It is ment to give you an
> idea of how to rotate the logs.
> 
> \trond
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> -----Opprinnelig melding-----
> 
> Fra: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
> 
> Sendt: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 21:09
> 
> Til: Tomcat Users List
> 
> Emne: [GFI-SPAM-BA] - RE: Log rotation HOWTO - Bayesian Filter detected
> 
> spam
> 
>  
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Or rather, you can't rotate catalina.out using functionality built into
> tomcat. You can use an external tool such as Apache's logrotate (no space in
> the name, google for it). And as the original poster mentioned this has been
> discussed numerous times ;)
> 
> Yoav
> 
> -----Original Message----- 
> 
> From: Dale, Matt [mailto:Matt.Dale@beCogent.com] 
> 
> Sent: Tue 6/29/2004 3:05 PM 
> 
> To: Tomcat Users List 
> 
> Cc: 
> 
> Subject: RE: Log rotation HOWTO
> 
>  
> 
> You can't rotate catalina.out. You shouldnt have much in there anyway if
> your webapps are coded correctly. If you have an webapp that outputs a lot
> to it you can add a customer logger to the context and it is rotated
> automatically every day.
> 
> Ta
> 
> Matt
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> 
> From: Emerson Cargnin [mailto:emerson@tre-sc.gov.br]
> 
> Sent: 29 June 2004 18:30
> 
> To: Tomcat Users List
> 
> Subject: Re: Log rotation HOWTO
> 
> I didn't find how to make the catalina.log file split each day.
> 
> <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this virtual host. By
> 
> default (when using FileLogger), log files are created in the "logs"
> 
> directory relative to $CATALINA_HOME. If you wish, you can specify
> 
> a different directory with the "directory" attribute. Specify either a
> 
> relative (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
> 
> directory.-->
> 
> <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> 
> directory="logs" prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
> 
> timestamp="true"/>
> 
> what should I change in the following tag to get it done...?
> 
> thanks
> 
> Emerson
> 
> I©q´me Duval wrote:
> 
> 
>>Search the mailing list! This question was asked recently...
> 
> 
> 
>>These messages might be useful...
> 
> 
> 
>>-----Original Message-----
> 
> 
>>From: Frank Zammetti [mailto:fzammett@hotmail.com]
> 
> 
>>Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:04 AM
> 
> 
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>Subject: Log rotation HOWTO
> 
> 
> 
>>I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this anywhere online,
> 
> 
>>hopefully you fine folks can help...
> 
> 
> 
>>I need a way to rotate my stdout log in Tomcat 5.0.18. It could be dalily
> 
> 
>>or weekly (monthly might be OK too).
> 
> 
> 
>>Is thre any way to do this? I assume so, so how? Thanks in advance all!
> 
> 
> 
>>_________________________________________________________________
> 
> 
>>Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up? now 3 months FREE!
> 
> 
>>http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>Subject:
> 
> 
>>AW: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
>>From:
> 
> 
>>Gunnar Oörschke <gpoerschke@canto.de>
> 
> 
>>Date:
> 
> 
>>Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:24:09 -0400
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>Could you please use tomcats web admin to change logging settings...
> 
> 
> 
>>By default you can access http://localhost:8080/admin
> 
> 
> 
>>You can activate a separate log for several contents.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>-----Urspr¼ngliche Nachricht-----
> 
> 
>>Von: Veera Sivakumar [mailto:vsivakumar@rm.com]
> 
> 
>>Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. Juni 2004 11:47
> 
> 
>>An: Tomcat Users List
> 
> 
>>Betreff: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
> 
>>Hi,
> 
> 
>>I am using Tomcat as web server for my application. I start Tomcat using
> 
> 
>>windows service. All the logs generated by the Application are written in
> 
> to
> 
> 
>>a file called stdout.log which is under tomca/logs folder.
> 
> 
>>I have noticed that with continuous use of application,stdout file size
> 
> 
>>increasing to a large extent. To delete the it I have to stop the tomcat.
> 
> 
>>Is there any way that I can manage the logs date wise
> 
> automatically(without
> 
> 
>>manual intervention). I am not using any third party tool for logging.
> 
> 
>>The logging mechanism I use is very simple.
> 
> 
> 
>>We have class Debug.java that have a method log(String); This log() method
> 
> 
>>use System.out.println(); In the application, I use
> 
> Debug.log("Exception");
> 
> 
> 
>>I will be more happy if there is any way to manage logs.
> 
> 
>>I have also noticed the following logs generated by Tomcat:
> 
> 
>>1.localhost_log.2004-06-18.txt
> 
> 
>>2.localhost_access_log.2004_06_22.txt
> 
> 
> 
>>How to maintain these logs?. Can we off them permanently?
> 
> 
>>Thanks in advance.
> 
> 
> 
>>Regards
> 
> 
>>S.V.Sivakumar
> 
> 
>>QCA Project
> 
> 
>>Tata Infotech Limited
> 
> 
>>Tel: +44 1235 823411
> 
> 
>>vsivakumar@rm.com / veera.surathu@tatainfotech.com
> 
> 
> 
>>Visit our website at http://www.rm.com
> 
> 
> 
>>This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its
> 
> 
>>contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information only for the
> 
> 
>>intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and therefore RM
> 
> 
>>does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any
> 
> 
>>views or opinions presented are only those of the author and not those of
> 
> 
>>RM. If this email has come to you in error please delete it and any
> 
> 
>>attachments. Please note that RM may intercept incoming and outgoing
> 
> e-mail
> 
> 
>>communications.
> 
> 
> 
>>This email has been scanned for viruses by Trend ScanMail.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>Subject:
> 
> 
>>RE: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
>>From:
> 
> 
>>"Robert Harper" <robert@iat-cti.com>
> 
> 
>>Date:
> 
> 
>>Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:20:15 -0400
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"'Tomcat Users List'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>Instead of using System.out.println() to log your messages, use the
> 
> 
>>HttpServlet's log() method. You can specify the logging class you want to
> 
> 
>>use,
> 
> 
>>the path it writes to, the base name, and extension. Each day a new file
> 
> is
> 
> 
>>created and you can simply delete the old ones as they are closed when a
> 
> new
> 
> 
>>file is started each day. You could also create your own logger that
> 
> manages
> 
> 
>>the
> 
> 
>>file size in some way. I have used the former and have specified the file
> 
> 
>>name
> 
> 
>>and path so that it easy form me to manage. My logs are separate from the
> 
> 
>>normal
> 
> 
>>logs as well.
> 
> 
> 
>>Robert S. Harper
> 
> 
>>801.265.8800 ex. 255
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>>-----Original Message-----
> 
> 
>>>From: Veera Sivakumar [mailto:vsivakumar@rm.com]
> 
> 
>>>Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 3:47 AM
> 
> 
>>>To: Tomcat Users List
> 
> 
>>>Subject: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
> 
>>>Hi,
> 
> 
>>>I am using Tomcat as web server for my application. I start Tomcat using
> 
> 
>>>windows service. All the logs generated by the Application are written in
> 
> 
> 
>>to a
> 
> 
> 
>>>file called stdout.log which is under tomca/logs folder.
> 
> 
>>>I have noticed that with continuous use of application,stdout file size
> 
> 
>>>increasing to a large extent. To delete the it I have to stop the tomcat.
> 
> 
>>>Is there any way that I can manage the logs date wise
> 
> 
> 
>>automatically(without
> 
> 
> 
>>>manual intervention). I am not using any third party tool for logging.
> 
> 
>>>The logging mechanism I use is very simple.
> 
> 
> 
>>>We have class Debug.java that have a method log(String);
> 
> 
>>>This log() method use System.out.println();
> 
> 
>>>In the application, I use Debug.log("Exception");
> 
> 
> 
>>>I will be more happy if there is any way to manage logs.
> 
> 
>>>I have also noticed the following logs generated by Tomcat:
> 
> 
>>>1.localhost_log.2004-06-18.txt
> 
> 
>>>2.localhost_access_log.2004_06_22.txt
> 
> 
> 
>>>How to maintain these logs?. Can we off them permanently?
> 
> 
>>>Thanks in advance.
> 
> 
> 
>>>Regards
> 
> 
>>>S.V.Sivakumar
> 
> 
>>>QCA Project
> 
> 
>>>Tata Infotech Limited
> 
> 
>>>Tel: +44 1235 823411
> 
> 
>>>vsivakumar@rm.com / veera.surathu@tatainfotech.com
> 
> 
> 
>>>Visit our website at http://www.rm.com
> 
> 
> 
>>>This message is confidential. You should not copy it
> 
> 
>>>or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information
> 
> 
>>>only for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
> 
> 
>>>therefore RM does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
> 
> 
>>>message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and
> 
> 
>>>not those of RM. If this email has come to you in error please delete it
> 
> 
>>>and any attachments. Please note that RM may intercept incoming and
> 
> 
>>>outgoing e-mail communications.
> 
> 
> 
>>>This email has been scanned for viruses by Trend ScanMail.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>Subject:
> 
> 
>>RE: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
>>From:
> 
> 
>>"Dale, Matt" <Matt.Dale@beCogent.com>
> 
> 
>>Date:
> 
> 
>>Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:12:16 -0400
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
>>To:
> 
> 
>>"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>You could add a customer Logger tag to the context in your server.xml and
> 
> 
>>add the swallowOutput="true" attribute, this will put standard out and
> 
> 
>>standard error into the log file that you specify which is rotated on a
> 
> 
>>daily basis automatically for you by tomcat.
> 
> 
> 
>>Ta
> 
> 
>>Matt
> 
> 
> 
>>-----Original Message-----
> 
> 
>>From: Veera Sivakumar [mailto:vsivakumar@rm.com]
> 
> 
>>Sent: 22 June 2004 10:47
> 
> 
>>To: Tomcat Users List
> 
> 
>>Subject: Managing Tomcat logs
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>Hi,
> 
> 
>>I am using Tomcat as web server for my application. I start Tomcat using
> 
> 
>>windows service. All the logs generated by the Application are written in
> 
> to
> 
> 
>>a file called stdout.log which is under tomca/logs folder.
> 
> 
>>I have noticed that with continuous use of application,stdout file size
> 
> 
>>increasing to a large extent. To delete the it I have to stop the tomcat.
> 
> 
>>Is there any way that I can manage the logs date wise
> 
> automatically(without
> 
> 
>>manual intervention). I am not using any third party tool for logging.
> 
> 
>>The logging mechanism I use is very simple.
> 
> 
> 
>>We have class Debug.java that have a method log(String);
> 
> 
>>This log() method use System.out.println();
> 
> 
>>In the application, I use Debug.log("Exception");
> 
> 
> 
>>I will be more happy if there is any way to manage logs.
> 
> 
>>I have also noticed the following logs generated by Tomcat:
> 
> 
>>1.localhost_log.2004-06-18.txt
> 
> 
>>2.localhost_access_log.2004_06_22.txt
> 
> 
> 
>>How to maintain these logs?. Can we off them permanently?
> 
> 
>>Thanks in advance.
> 
> 
> 
>>Regards
> 
> 
>>S.V.Sivakumar
> 
> 
>>QCA Project
> 
> 
>>Tata Infotech Limited
> 
> 
>>Tel: +44 1235 823411
> 
> 
>>vsivakumar@rm.com / veera.surathu@tatainfotech.com
> 
> 
> 
>>Visit our website at http://www.rm.com
> 
> 
> 
>>This message is confidential. You should not copy it
> 
> 
>>or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information
> 
> 
>>only for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
> 
> 
>>therefore RM does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
> 
> 
>>message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and
> 
> 
>>not those of RM. If this email has come to you in error please delete it
> 
> 
>>and any attachments. Please note that RM may intercept incoming and
> 
> 
>>outgoing e-mail communications.
> 
> 
> 
>>This email has been scanned for viruses by Trend ScanMail.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual and
> 
> not necessarily the company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with it
> are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you
> are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to
> the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this E-mail in
> error and that any use or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this E-mail in error please notify the beCogent postmaster at
> postmaster@becogent.com
> 
> 
>>Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the
> 
> individual sender and not beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility
> for virus checking this email and any attachments.
> 
> 
>>Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments may
> 
> contain data that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts and
> that you must ensure that any handling or processing of such data by you is
> fully compliant with the terms and provisions of the Data Protection Act
> 1984 and 1998.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
> 
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> 
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> --
> 
> Emerson Cargnin
> 
> Analista de Sistemas
> 
> Setor de Desenvolvimento de Sistemas - TRE-SC
> 
> tel : (048) - 251-3700 - Ramal 3181
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
>  
> 
> 
> **********************************************************************
> This email message has been swept by
> MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
> **********************************************************************
> 
> 


-- 
Emerson Cargnin
Analista de Sistemas
Setor de Desenvolvimento de Sistemas - TRE-SC
tel : (048) - 251-3700 - Ramal 3181

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message