tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jonathan Melhuish <j.melhu...@signal.qinetiq.com>
Subject Re: Bizarre parse error
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:18:01 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:

>See http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=23357. Perhaps if
>you vote for it, someone would fix it?
>  
>
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I'll take a fresh look at this in the 
morning, but essentially you're saying that Xalan doesn't deal correctly 
with UTF-8 encoded data?  And that by copying and pasting it into a 
string, I'm converting it to Latin-1.

Presumably an ugly workaround would be to converted the outputted XML to 
Latin-1 in order that Xalan can process it.  Fortunately, I don't think 
my database contains any data that can't be expressed in the Latin-1 
character set.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I hope you at least agree 
that this diagnosis wasn't exactly obvious from the initial symptoms!

Cheers,

Jon

>  
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Jonathan Melhuish [mailto:j.melhuish@signal.qinetiq.com] 
>>Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 11:44 AM
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org; xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org
>>Subject: Re: Bizarre parse error
>>
>>In the absence of any more logical suggestions, I've been 
>>randomly fiddling and have found that:
>>
>>    * I only get the error when I successfully retreive XML 
>>from the database and pass it to Xalan, it works or fails 
>>elegantly in all other cases
>>    * The XML data is returned correctly and is valid, 
>>because I can output it, save it and parse it using Mozilla
>>    * The simple XSL stylesheet that I have created (which 
>>just matches the document root) is valid because I am using 
>>it successfully on another very similar page that returns a 
>>smaller subset of the XML data
>>    * If I copy and paste the outputted XML from the saved 
>>file into my JSP page and assign it to a string, it works
>>
>>So, in summary:
>>
>>    * The bit that gets the XML from the database appears to 
>>work correctly
>>    * The bit that processes the XML (Xalan) appears to work 
>>correctly when the above XML is hard-coded into a string
>>    * It doesn't work when I try to pass the XML directly 
>>from one to the other
>>
>>Any ideas?!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Jon
>>
>>Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>I've got a rather bizarre problem which I can't quite get my head 
>>>around, and was wondering if anybody might be able to help.
>>>
>>>I'm using Xalan to transform XML into HTML4 using an XSLT 
>>>      
>>>
>>stylesheet.
>>    
>>
>>>The page appears to be generated correctly, from looking at 
>>>      
>>>
>>the source 
>>    
>>
>>>code.  However, upon loading, Internet Explorer (5 and 6) gives the
>>>error:
>>>
>>>       The character '>' was expected. Error processing resource 
>>>'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd'. Line 81, Position 5
>>>           -- media type, as per [RFC2045]
>>>       ----^
>>>
>>>The line number referenced is not related to the source code of my 
>>>page.  Mozilla, meanwhile gives the error "XML Parsing Error: 
>>>mismatched tag. Expected: </link>" which would imply that 
>>>      
>>>
>>it is trying 
>>    
>>
>>>to parse it as XHTML.  Changing the DOCTYPE declaration 
>>>      
>>>
>>from Strict to 
>>    
>>
>>>Transitional changes the line number in IE but not the 
>>>      
>>>
>>error given by Mozilla.
>>    
>>
>>>Removing the DOCTYPE definition completely brings IE's 
>>>      
>>>
>>error in line 
>>    
>>
>>>with Mozilla's.
>>>
>>>However, all of this would perhaps seem rather irrelevant, 
>>>      
>>>
>>as I found 
>>    
>>
>>>that saving the file to disk and re-opening it causes it to be 
>>>displayed correctly in both browsers.  Similarly, saving 
>>>      
>>>
>>the resultant 
>>    
>>
>>>HTML and serving it through Tomcat also works, regardless 
>>>      
>>>
>>of whether 
>>    
>>
>>>the filename extension is .html or .jsp.  My only 
>>>      
>>>
>>suggestion was that 
>>    
>>
>>>perhaps it was something to do with the MIME type, but presumably 
>>>Tomcat would decide that based on the filename extension if my JSP 
>>>pages were not to contain the line:
>>>
>>><%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html" %>
>>>
>>>This presumption is supported by the fact that removing this line 
>>>makes no difference to either error.
>>>
>>>Which leaves me completely out of ideas... help!
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Jon
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>>    
>>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>
>
>
>  
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message