tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Carville <step...@totalflood.com>
Subject Apache -> tomcat connections grow very fast
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:00:37 GMT
Every once in  a while, the number of connections between apache and tomcat
grows very rapidally, going from 12 or so up to over 150 in a matter of about
10 minutes.  This quickly causes the number of httpd processes to exceed
MaxClients and apache stops accepting new connections.  Restarting tomcat
relieves the symptom.  This is a recent development that first came to my
attention abtu two weeks ago.

When the problem happens, 'netstat -natp' shows a bunch of connections like:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:39164         127.0.0.1:8009
ESTABLISHED 21886/httpd

with a corresponding connection for the tomcat end:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8009          127.0.0.1:39164
ESTABLISHED 31723/java

Normally there are about 8 to 12 connections between apache and tomcat.  I
cannot figure out why the number suddenly peaks like this.  I've scoured the
http logs and turned on debugging for mod_jk but nothing I've tried so far
fixes it.  I've had the developers do some extra logging to see if any recent
code changes could be causing it but that too has proved fruitless.

Suggestions are welcome.

--
Stephen Carville
Unix and Network Adminstrator