tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Too many open files on Solaris
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:02:06 GMT
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:59:12AM +0200, Davor Cengija wrote:
: My application is hitting that 'too many open files' limit on Solaris.

[I just left this line in for the archives/searching.  Read on]

: but my system administrator simply doesn't want to do that (since it
: requires restart).

If this application is mission-critical, your sysadmin may want to
rethink his/her approach. =)

You could also check out the "ulimit" command.

What sort of load-testing was done on the app before it went live?

: Now, the problem is how to avoid too many open files exception.

The short version: don't open so many files. ;)

The longer version: I'm only half-joking here.

Remember, everything in Unix is (accessible as/represented by) a file,
including network connections.  You could limit the number of network
connections in your server.xml <Connector> elements -- or better still,
limit Apache's connections to the container.  Reduce the number of DB
pool connections, etc.

You could also check your app for file I/O, such as your code handling
temp files.  Slim chance, and it's more of a fine-tuning measure; but it
will help on a political/friendliness level when you can honestly tell
your sysadmin, "I've done all I can do.  Your turn."

How much memory does the container use during peak periods? You could
setup a second Tomcat instance (either on the current host, or a
different host) and have Apache/mod_jk load-balance between the two.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com