tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: [OT] JSP/Servlet Hosting
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:40:50 GMT
:I am getting a little concerned about Java's position as far as a
:development language for the web. The reason I say this is because trying
:to find good, reliable hosting at a competitive price, by competitive I
:mean against the price of hosting PHP based sites, is almost impossible.

Lack of affordable web hosting == concern for Java's position?

Surely, you jest. ;)  Apples and oranges.

I admit, there's not a lot of J2EE hosting out there, much less at
competitive pricing; but that's due to:

1/ Java's marketing/target audience
2/ required server resources
3/ co$t of experti$e
4/ lack of competition, due to #1, #2, and #3

When you think about it, those are pretty much the same reasons why you
don't see a lot of .NET hosting, or why hosts that offer mod_perl charge
a premium for that service.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net