tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: JSVC problems with Tomcat 5.0.19 & Linux
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:10:52 GMT
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:18:08AM +0200, Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
: > - for granting rights for ports(binding) to non-root user and u might
: >save some time (may be money too) for this tool.
:
: How does one go about it?
: I've never seen anything like that on our Digital UNIX or Tru64 UNIX.

-as in, how do you let nonroot users perform root-level actions?

Check out the setuid() / setgid() / setreuid() system calls. You start a
program as root, bind to the port (or whatever else you have to do) then
use those calls to change ID to a nonroot user.  setuid() and setgid()
should be universal; but I don't know whether setruid() is supported under
Tru64.

There are plenty of examples out there, including one in "Advanced
Programming in the Unix Environment" (Steven).

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com