tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: JSVC problems with Tomcat 5.0.19 & Linux
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:25:20 GMT
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:16:38PM -0700, Ashwin Desai wrote:
: Has anyone else seen these issues ? Any solutions ?

1/ Perhaps -- in my (limited) experience with jsvc under Linux, I noticed
that I have to start jsvc as root.  The process still runs as the
specified user, but root must run the actual jsvc command.

2/ I haven't looked at the source code, but my guess is that somewhere
under the covers a call to setuid()/setgid() is failing (because the
calling user is not root) and jsvc doesn't attempt to continue as the
current user.  i.e. it counts the setuid()/setgid() failure as fatal.

1 is my experience; 2 is completely hypothetical. =)

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com