tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Davor Cengija <>
Subject Pulling a node out of a cluster?
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:47:21 GMT
My server configuration is as follows:

- Apache 2 + mod_jk 1.2.5
- Two Tomcats 4.1.30 which communicate with mod_jk through ports 11009 and

It works just as it should; mod_jk automatically redirects all the requests
from tomcat1 to tomcat2 when tomcat1 is down etc.

Now, the question is how to pull e.g. tomcat1 out of a cluster but to have
it still happily running?

The best idea I could come to is to shut down a tomcat, change its mod_jk
connector port and to bring it up again. Apache doesn't see that tomcat
anymore and forwards all the requests to another one, and I can easily
access that pulled-out tomcat through its http port. When I want to
reconnect the pulled-out tomcat to cluster again I have to shut it down,
change its mod_jk connector port back to its previous value and start it up
again. It works but is a little bit touchy.

Any better idea?

I've seen a cluster configuration which uses special files, e.g.
im_in_cluster.html which each clustered tomcat has in its web root. Load
balancer first asks for that file and if it's available forwards request to
that tomcat. Simply removing im_in_cluster.html file from a tomcat's
webroot will render that tomcat unclustered. Any idea how could I achieve
that with apache+mod_jk+two tomcats?

Davor Cengija,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: