tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: Corrupted UTF-8 JSPs?!
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:58:55 GMT
"developed locally, and then deployed remotely"

Make sure on the remote system, the Java Runtime Environment supports UTF-8
and is using it as the default encoding(export
JAVA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding="utf8").

native2ascii UTF-8 encoded characters may help too.

Yan

-----Original Message-----
From: Ruth, Brice [mailto:bruth@fiskars.com]
Sent: June 10, 2004 14:00
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Corrupted UTF-8 JSPs?!

I'm running into a strange issue.

I have certain JSPs with UTF-8 encoded characters in them (polish
characters, to be exact). My Ant build.xml precompiles the JSPs using
Jasper and then packages the application into a WAR for deployment.

When I develop locally with Tomcat 5.0.18, I deploy without packaging
into a WAR first. However, to deploy remotely, I create a WAR, then
deploy from that.

Locally, the JSPs appear just as they should. After being packaged into
a WAR (even if I deploy it locally to the exact same instance of Tomcat
5.0.18), the UTF-8 characters are garbaged up. The garbaging appears the
same as it does when I override the page-provided UTF-8 encoding (in the
browser) and manually set the encoding to ISO-8859-1.

What's going on here?! By the time that the JSPs are added to the WAR,
they're binary .class files, since they are precompiled! Text encodings
shouldn't make a bit of difference at that point, should they?!?

The JSPs loaded still tell the browser that the encoding is UTF-8 ...
and UTF-8 characters in the .properties files (passed through
native2ascii) are properly displayed.

It seems to me that something very strange is going on ... moreover,
this is going to really throw a wrench in our project if we can't get to
the bottom of it!

Respectfully,
Brice Ruth