tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: maxThreads
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 07:36:59 GMT
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Hollerman Geralyn M wrote:

| Evidently, I'm misunderstanding something about the maxThreads attribute
| on the HTTP <Connector>; I saw from the docs that in Tomcat 5.0.19, this
| is the maximum number of request processing threads to be created by
| this connector. So, what that said to me was that if I wanted to allow
| lots of requests, I ought to make that number larger than the default,
| which the docs say is 200. I also assumed that this attribute,
| maxThreads, is similar to the "maxProcessors" attribute that was used
| in, for instance, Tomcat 4.0.4. When we were using Tomcat 4.0.4, we
| often got the message "No processor available, rejecting this
| connection", and the way I was told to correct that error was to
| increase maxProcessors, and this worked fine. But to correct another
| problem, we were told to upgrade to 4.1.24, and then to 5.0.16.

The new tomcat code have (finally!) an idea of connection queues, so that
you can have 2 processors, but 10000 queue-entries, and you won't get the
"connection refused" crap message, but instead the connectin will be
queued untill a processor is available.
  This is possible due to the way TCP works - one thread can keep on
receiving connections, but not handle them and instead stack them into a
queue - then there's another thread dispatching this queue to the
workers/processors as they become available. (Not that this is exactly as
tomcat have done it, but this is the general idea)

Endre.