tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject RE: How to limit time for Connector threads?
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 08:56:38 GMT
On Fri, 7 May 2004, rlipi wrote:

| So, let's go back to my original question. I think that it is common
| situation that, due to the some mistake in source code, the execution of
| a request thread is very long or infinite. And the server should not to
| go down by this kind of mistakes.

You are coding in java. It is not possible to preemptively control a
Thread's execution cycle, in particular its termination. Trust me - check
it up - there are -no ways- to kill a Thread.

The reasons behind this are complex - but revolves around the problem of
leaving mutex-sections correctly ("monitors") when terminating a Thread.

Thus: code correct!

(The JSR 121 will fix this proble:  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=121.
The way they solve it, is that they in effect instantiate -an entirely new
JVM- for each thing that must be terminatable.)

Kind regards,
Endre