tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam T. Gautier" <adam_gaut...@yahoo.com>
Subject Load-Balancing
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 16:36:49 GMT
I have a three server configuration with 1 Apache (httpd) and 2 Tomcat
(10 instances a piece) servers.  The configuration is working but it is
a little complicated.  I choose this configuration for performance.  I
loaded the tomcat servers with lots of RAM and let the multiple instance
run as independant processes under linux.  This would allow, I beleieve
for beter CPU usage.  There were serveral other reasons for my original
choice of load balancing across multiple instances on multiple machines
which I won't go into unless asked. But, my question is this.  Is it
needed?  Can I get the same performance  from single tomcat instances on
the two boxes (rely on threads instead of POSIX proccesses)?  Wouldn't
running 1 JVM instead of 10 provide a better use of memory per machine?
The configuration would be easier, definatly...  What are the thought of
the others in this group?  Thanks...

                         [ Apache 10.10.10.20]

[Tomcat 10.10.10.100]                  [Tomcat 10.10.10.101]
     [APP01-01]                                        [APP02-01]
     [APP01-10]                                         [APP02-10]