tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Arne Schirmacher <n...@yahoo.de>
Subject strange memory problem
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 04:13:03 GMT
I try to run several instances of a large web
application in one Tomcat. My JAVA_OPTS shell variable
is set to "-Xmx700m -Xms700m" and the web application
also reports that 700 MByte RAM are available, and
maybe 180 MByte in use.

After a few hours I got the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
in catalina.out. At this point the java processes are
no larger than maybe 400 - 450 MByte. There is plenty
of RAM left (the server has 1 GByte). The free memory
as reported by the web application or Tomcat is
nowhere tight, although it is difficult to pick a
point of time right before the crash.

I tried this with Tomcat 4.1.30 and 5.0.19. Java is
j2sdk1.4.2_04. System is Linux 2.4.26 patched with
grsecurity.

Any help is really appreciated.

Mit schönen Grüßen von Yahoo! Mail - http://mail.yahoo.de