tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Buglass <adam.bugl...@ncl.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Is there any way to check # of Records in RecordSet
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 14:31:19 GMT
This is the wrong list but never mind

An alternative is the following:

ResultSet rs;
int i = 0;
while( rs.next() ) {
	i++;
}

The integer i should be the length of your result set (by the way, don't
get confused with RecordSets which are VB - I used to do that all the
time!) at the end of the loop - assuming of course that you start from
the start of the set, you could use rs.first() to ensure this.

There's tons of useful info on Java methods and classes on suns site:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/

question is more specific.

Adam.

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 15:26, Dale, Matt wrote:
> This is the wrong list i'm pretty sure but there are a couple of ways to get the number
but there isnt a direct method that returns it.

> If the result set is scrollable you can iterate through it counting the number of iterations,
then set it back to the start when you want to process the records.

> The other option (one I prefer) is to load the records into an ArrayList, you can then
determine the size quite easily.

> If anyone else has any neater solutions i'd like to hear them too as I've had to do this
in a few places.

> Ta
> Matt

Adam Buglass,  ><>